Tax Docs Checklist

Tax Prep Checklist

We've put together this Tax Prep Checklist to help you be ready and well organized before you start preparing your taxes for filing. Whether you see a tax professional or prepare your taxes on your own, this checklist will help get the documents and forms ready to get started.

Personal info

  • Copy of Driver license or state ID for every one listed on the tax return
  • Copy of Birth certificates for all dependents (under 16yo) listed on the tax return
  • Copy of Social security card or tax ID number for everyone listed on the tax return
  • Identity Protection PIN, if one has been issued to you, your spouse, or your dependent by the IRS
  • Routing and account numbers to receive your refund by direct deposit or pay your balance due if you choose

Dependents info

  • Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable
  • Income of dependents and of other adults in your home
  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

If Employed:
  • Forms W-2
If Unemployed:
  • (1099-G) Unemployment 
If Self Employed:
  • Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099-MISC or new 1099-NEC
  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Office in home information, if applicable
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
Rental Income
  • Records of income and expenses
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
Retirement Income
  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)
  • Social security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
Savings & Investments or Dividends
  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)
  • Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)
Other Income & Losses
  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
  • Jury duty records
  • Hobby income and expenses
  • Prizes and awards
  • Trust income
  • Royalty Income 1099–MISC
  • Any other 1099s received
  • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN
  • State tax refund

Types of Deductions

Home Ownership
  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
  • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)
  • All other 1098 series forms
  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations
  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
Medical Expenses
  • Amounts paid for healthcare, insurance, and to doctors, dentists, and hospitals
Health Insurance
  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
Childcare Expenses
  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler
  • Amounts paid to a baby-sitter or provider care of your child under age 13 while you work
  • Expenses paid through a dependent care flexible spending account at work
Educational Expenses
  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest
K-12 Educator Expenses
  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
State & Local Taxes
  • Amount of state and local income or sales tax paid (other than wage withholding)
  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid and / or personal property tax on vehicles
Retirement & Other Savings
  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
Federally Declared Disaster
  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in
  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs
  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
  • FEMA assistance information
  • Check the FEMA website to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area

Requirements for those who wish to apply for or renew the ITIN

Please answer the following questions:

  • What was the date of entry into the USA?
  • What is your current full address in the USA?
  • What was your previous and complete address in your native country or country of citizenship?
  • Please list the countries of which you are a Citizen

Expenses for Self-Employed workers and/or Business owners

Transportation or Vehicle Used for Business
  • Amount of miles driven related to the business
  • Auto insurance cost
  • Vehicle maintenance and repair costs
  • Annual registration costs
  • Tolls (Sunpass)
  • Business cards
  • Website/Webpage
  • Payments for advertising on the internet. For example: Google ads, social media networks, TV, radio, etc.
  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
  • Printed material, brochures, flyers, postcards, posters, magnets, magazines, etc.
  • Others
Office or Space you use for business
  • Monthly mortgage or rent payment (if the office is at home - monthly mortgage/ rent value, total # of square feet of the house and total # of square feet of occupied space for office.)
  • Utilities - public services such as power and light.
  • Insurances
  • Internet
  • Telephone
  • Office supplies
  • Office equipment
  • Office furniture
  • Courses or certifications to help your business
  • Professional or technical licenses
Employees or hired labor
  • Full name, occupation (position), time of work and monthly salary paid to each worker
  • Commissions paid
  • Bonuses and incentives paid to workers
Legal & Professionals Fees
  • Business start up costs
  • Accountant fees
  • Others
Travel Entertainment and Meals
  • Dining out expenses
  • Trips for business (Please specify reason for trip, activities during the trip, transportation costs, stay costs and others).
Miscellaneous Expenses
  • Tools
  • Uniforms
  • Cell Phone
  • Memberships
  • Others

If you have a corporate bank account and want us to assist you with the calculation of the business's gross profit, gross income, total expenses, and, ultimately, net profit or loss for a better and more accurate preparation of your taxes, we will need you to request accounting access with your bank, so that we can transfer the transactions to the Quickbooks system. For accounting access it will be necessary to share the following information with your bank:

  • Company: Freedom TIC Group LLC
  • Agent: Elizabeth Simeon
  • Phone: 1-855-447-3733
  • Email:
  • Username and Password: (Select them according to your taste)

File your taxes with a Tax Expert.

Call us Now!


You may also like

COVID19 Stimulus FAQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe to our newsletter now!

Freedom Services